Tip of the Week - Using Symbols
Montreal, Canada - May 02, 2012
In the latest installment of our Tip of the Week series of Animation tutorials our resident expert and Professional Product Manager, Lilly Vogelesang, will walk you through the best and most efficient way to use Symbols in our professional software.
So what is a Symbol? A Symbol is a container or construction block used to build your props, puppets and looping clips. Use Symbols to contain artwork and animation, to manipulate them as a single object, or as a case holder where you will put a series of different drawings for each body part of your puppets.
There are two videos:
Symbols Part 1
In the first video which lasts around seven and a half minutes, Lilly will discuss:- Digitizing a traditional process; How to create a hierarchy in Toon Boom; She will then go on to discuss how to create a hierarchy in Symbols; You will find out about nesting symbols; Learn about how to animate nested Symbols; Lilly will then take a look at a cut-out character; and finally, working with Symbols for cycles.
Symbols Part 2
In the second part which lasts nine minutes, Lilly will continue by Drawing a Skateboard; How to make a change to something in the Symbol; She will then go on to discuss how to disable a layer for animation; You will find out about using a Symbol’s pivot point; and finally, you will learn about bringing in a Symbol with a cycle.
So get comfortable, watch the video and learn how to experience a better way to more efficient and satisfying animation, with our Tip of the Week.
More Animation Resources from Toon Boom
When you have watched our latest Tips of the Week we have much more for you to learn about. Make use of these great animation resources to become the very best.
Visit our Toon Boom Tips Channel on YouTube and watch all of the Tips of the Week.
Become a better animator by visiting our Toon Boom Professional Animating Resources:
- Producing a 3DStereoscopic Project – Turn your project into a 3D Stereoscopic animation. Instructions and material.
- Templates – Professional-quality templates for Animate, Animate Pro and Harmony, everything from Sunrises to Particle Effects.
- Video Tutorials – Expert animation tutorials to help you begin and then progress to the highest level of animation expertise.
- Community Video Tutorials - These in-depth animation tutorials are created by some of Toom Boom’s industry power users.
- Visit our User Forums - We answer your questions. Work with other users and our experts to get answers to your animation and storyboarding questions.