Tip of the Week - Shadows and Highlights
Montreal, Canada - August 24, 2012
In the latest installment of our Tip of the Week series of Animation tutorials our resident expert and Professional Product Manager, Lilly Vogelesang, will explain how to Add Highlights and Shadows in Animate, Animate Pro and Harmony.
Part 1 is 10 minutes long. Lilly shows Creating a Frame by Frame animation, Accessing Highlight and Shadow, she discusses Drawing on the Overlay layer and then Maximising the use of sublayers. Lilly continues by Using the Onion Skin, Layer properties in the Network view. Following this Using Modules are explained including Overlay-Layer, Layer-Selector modules. Lilly demonstrates the value of cloning a layer in the Network view. Next, the tone effect module is shown and emphasis is placed on the importance of correct port positions of matte and original drawings. Part 1 concludes with a preview of the shadow rendering.
In Part 2, Lilly continues to explain about adding shadows, but also introduces us to Alpha values, Defining what the shadow looks like, Animating a layer property over time using functions and keyframes, viewing the shadow functions. Using the Data View feature in the Timeline to see detailed info about effects properties. She explains the reasons for using the Shadow functions and not just painting the shadow. Lilly also shows how to use both Highlight and Tone. Finally the Radial properties are explained and how they can be used to harden or soften the edge of a shadow.
So get comfortable, watch the video and learn how to experience a better way to more efficient and satisfying animation, with our Tip of the Week.
More Animation Resources from Toon Boom
When you have watched our latest Tips of the Week, we have much more for you to learn about. Make use of these great animation resources to become the very best.
Visit our Toon Boom Tips Channel on YouTube and watch all of the Tips of the Week.
Become a better animator by visiting our Toon Boom Professional Animating Resources:
- Producing a 3DStereoscopic Project – Turn your project into a 3D Stereoscopic animation. Instructions and material.
- Templates – Professional-quality templates for Animate, Animate Pro and Harmony, everything from Sunrises to Particle Effects.
- Video Tutorials – Expert animation tutorials to help you begin and then progress to the highest level of animation expertise.
- Community Video Tutorials - These in-depth animation tutorials are created by some of Toom Boom’s industry power users.
- Visit our User Forums - We answer your questions. Work with other users and our experts to get answers to your animation and storyboarding questions.